Kaduna State Government says it will trace, arrest and prosecute those who looted COVID-19 items in the state on Saturday.
The Deputy Governor, Dr Hadiza Balarabe, said this in a state-wide broadcast on Sunday, adding that security agents had already arrested some of those involved.
Balarabe said, “There can be no other word but theft for describing the looting of food items donated by CACOVID.
We have met community leaders and made it clear that what happened yesterday will not be tolerated. There can be no excuses for the crimes we have witnessed.
The state is obliged to find and prosecute those involved in the criminal actions that unfolded yesterday.
“For the sake of every law-abiding and hardworking citizen, we cannot indulge those who think they are exempted from the obligation to respect the law and the right of others to their lives and property.
“Those who instigated these actions and who sadly persist in incitement should also expect to hear from the law.”
Balarabe warned that “much of the looted property is a threat to public health, including the expired and dangerous drugs that were taken from NAFDAC and the 8,000 tons of chemically treated soybeans stolen from a private feeds processing company.”
She thanked security agencies for averting the spiral of violence and arresting some of the persons involved in the looting.
“I call on all the people of Kaduna State to uphold law and order and to cooperate with the security agencies as they enforce the curfew.